Coronavirus Map and Live Data Tracker with MongoDB Charts
Rajiv T | APAC Partner Director, MongoDB
Too Long, Didn’t Read
Here is an example of the charts we made using the Coronavirus dataset. More below and in the MongoDB Charts dashboards.
Let The Data Speak
We have to make decisions at work every day.
- Should we discontinue this project?
- Should we hire more people?
- Can we invest more in this branch? How much?
Leaders make decisions. Great leaders make informed decisions, based on facts backed by data and not just based on assumptions, feelings or opinions.
The management of the Coronavirus outbreak obeys the same rules. To make the right decisions, we need accurate data.
Data about the Coronavirus is relatively easy to find. The Johns Hopkins University has done a terrific job at gathering, cleaning and curating data from various sources. They wrote an excellent blog post which I encourage you to read.
Having data is great but it can also be overwhelming. That’s why data visualisation is also very important. Data alone doesn’t speak and doesn’t help make informed decisions.
This is great… But we can do even better visualisations with MongoDB Charts.
Free Your Data With MongoDB Charts
Thomas Rueckstiess and I imported all the data from Johns Hopkins University (and we will keep importing new data as they are published) into a MongoDB database. If you are interested by the data import, you can check my Github repository.
Then we used this data to produce a dashboard to monitor the progression of the virus.
- Here is the MongoDB Charts Dashboard Thomas came up with.
- Here is the MongoDB Charts Dashboard I came up with.
Both are shared publicly for the greater good.
MongoDB Charts also allows you to embed easily charts within a website… or a blog post.
Here are a few of the graphs I was able to import in here with just two clicks.
As you can see, MongoDB Charts is really powerful and super easy to embed. There is even a dark mode (see donut above) to ease the integration with your themes.
If you have a source of data that provides different or more accurate data about this virus. Please let me know on Twitter @MBeugnet or in the comment section. I will do my best to update this data and provide more charts.
- Rajiv Thapar has over two decades of experience in IT Business Value Chain with exposure to General Management with P&L responsibility, Direct and Channel sales in Commercial and Consumer space, Product Management and Project Management.
- 4 Steps to Success: From Surviving with Legacy Systems to Thriving with MongoDB
- Vietnam’s #1 Entertainment Network Accelerates International Growth with MongoDB Atlas and Google Cloud
- Free Your Genius With MongoDB Atlas Free Tier