Stories from South East Asia (Part 3)– Changing Paradigm of Postgres Deployment
Kaustubh Patwardhan, Director I Southeast Asia and Hong Kong, Ashnik
“We are not into payment gateway business anymore, we are into Technology Business now”, words by Joe Schuler, Vice President and Senior Business Leader of MasterCard very well summed up the collective feelings of the business leaders and think tank present at first ever Postgres Vision 2016, held at San Francisco from 11th to 13th October. Though the event was to celebrate the 20th Anniversary of Postgres database, it brought together business executives, innovators and thought leaders from across the globe to set the perspective on future of technology and business. And not to miss the mentioning the cheerful presence of the Apple Co-founder Steve Wizniak. I was thrilled to shake hands with this legendary innovator. Our South East Asia Panel represented by us along with 3 key customers from the region was well received and highlighted regional challenges, the integration paths and the project constraints within organisations in South East Asia.
The common theme that emerged from all talks and discussions was same – Today every business is experiencing a paradigm shift by use of innovative and cutting edge technology.
Some of the panels ran key discussions across:
- Business justification for the Postgres deployments and the ROI
- Strategic IT transformation in payment, social networking, human resources, insurance, fitness industries where data and data management is most crucial
- Reviewing the risks the organizations faced in moving from a commercial database to an open source platform
- Customer discussions, which also highlighted the crucial role played by ecosystem around Open source, role of regional and local partners
- Role of Modern enterprise database technologies in transportation business like Uber which turned Data into business value with open source
- Data Management in cloud – As datafication and velocity of datafication is increasing, data management in the cloud is becoming very crucial and highly innovative technology like Postgres database is becoming quite an essential backbone of many kinds of workloads.
Open Source, the new norm for software development will have far reaching benefits to enterprises. Though most of the open source technologies are coming from West to East, many complex architectures and full capability of the open source technology is being deployed by thought leaders from East, as it come up. East met the West at Postgres Vision to underscore the key thought – technology is important but to deploy it in right way and effective manner is very crucial for success of the business.
– Kaustubh Patwardhan, Director I Southeast Asia and Hong Kong, Ashnik
Kaustubh (KP) is the Head of Business Development and Strategy at Ashnik. His role comprises of heading Strategic Partnerships, Channels Management and Business Development for ASEAN. With his expansive experience in IT, he plays a pivotal role in strategic initiatives undertaken by Ashnik. Apart from his usual responsibilities at Ashnik, he is passionate about photography, cricket and other sports. He is also an enthusiastic participant in poetic circles and plays.
- Cloud for Good – Stories from Southeast Asia
- Top Asian Banks chart their DX Journey with Open Source
- Stories from South East Asia (Part 3)– Changing Paradigm of Postgres Deployment